Ketogenic Diet Food List: Proteins
Remember that moderate protein is important when going keto, so monitor your intake of meat and eggs based on their protein content. Too much protein in relation to fat can cause the body to break down protein for fuel instead, decreasing or stopping ketosis. If you eat leaner cuts of meat, consider including a fatty side dish or sauce. As much as possible, choose grass-fed and pasture-raised options.
Source Matters Series: A Guide to Buying Healthy Meat
Source Matters Series: A Guide to Buying Healthy Seafood
- Beef, preferably fattier cuts like steak, veal, roast, ground beef, and stews.
- Poultry, including chicken, quail, duck, turkey, and wild game—try to focus on the darker, fattier meats.
- Pork, including pork loin, tenderloin, chops, ham, bacon, and ground.
- Fish, including mackerel, tuna, salmon, trout, halibut, cod, catfish, and mahi-mahi.
- Shellfish, including oysters, clams, crab, mussels, and lobster.
- Organ meats, including heart, liver, tongue, kidney, and offal.
- Eggs, including deviled, fried, scrambled, and boiled. Use the whole egg.
Beware of meats that contained processed ingredients, sauces, or cured meats with added sugars. These can easily increase your carb and sugar intake.
A hot tip from our founder, Dr. Anthony Gustin (@dranthonygustin) is to buy your meat locally and in bulk. This whole lamb from a ranch in the Bay Area cost under $3/lb and is fully grass-fed!
Ketogenic Food List: Carbohydrates
Think low-carb and non-starchy. Choose leafy greens first, including:
- Swiss chard
- Bok choy
- Brussels sprouts
Other options include:
- Bell peppers
Fruits must be limited and eaten in VERY small amounts, as they have a high sugar content. When you do eat fruits, choose lower-sugar options like:
For fruits and vegetables, fresh or frozen is fine, and organic is best but not required. Take a deep dive in the Source Matter Series: A Guide to Buying Healthy Produce
Ketogenic Food List: Supplements
Okay so we hit all three macronutrients, but there’s so much we haven’t talked about! Here’s the guide to everything else you might consume on your ketogenic diet, ut didn’t quite fit the macro mold.
The purpose of exogenous ketone supplements is to provide the body with extra ketones (energy). Ketone supplements can be a huge help when transitioning into a state of ketosis or entering a fasted state.
Exogenous ketones help you get back into ketosis at any time, instead of having to wait for at least a couple days. They can be taken in between meals to provide a quick punch of ketones or before a workout for additional energy.
MCT Oils and Powders
MCT is short for medium chain triglyceride. MCTs are a type of fat that can be readily used for energy by your body and do not have to be shuttled around your digestive system before use. They are precursors to ketones and help your body burn fat instead of burning carbs.
Benefits of MCT Supplements
Weight Loss: MCT’s are easily digested and have a thermogenic (energy-creating) effect, also known as “boosting your metabolism.”
Energy: MCT’s are a fast-acting source of energy. They break down into ketones which can then be used as fuel for your body.
Digestion: MCT’s support our gut microbiome by combating harmful bacteria and parasites.
Overall Health: MCT’s contain antioxidant properties which reduce internal inflammation and improve overall performance of your heart, brain, and nervous system.
Perfect Keto MCT Oil Powder adds an unflavored creaminess that is incredible in coffee, tea, and any smoothie you can think of.
Collagen Protein Supplements
Collagen is a type of protein – 1 of over 10,000 in your body. Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body, accounting for 25-35% of all protein. It can be considered the glue that holds your body together.
Most other animal-based protein powders can be inflammatory to many people. Casein and whey are known allergens and egg protein can be quite inflammatory. Collagen protein from grass-fed beef is made in the same way that bone broth is made, low and slow heating to preserve the nutrition.
One of the toughest parts of keto is that it cuts out lots of starchy fruits and vegetables that are high in carbohydrates. However, they are also packed with nutrients. Keto Micro Greens is the solution to getting enough nutrition from produce, while eating a low carb ketogenic diet. Perfect Keto Micro Greens Powder is 14 servings of 22 different fruits and vegetables, plus MCT fats for absorption.
Perfect Keto Micronutrient Greens Ingredients
Greens and Veggie Blend: 4.5 grams of raw and organic greens and vegetables from 12 different sources.
Berry and Fruit Blend: 4.5 grams of raw and organic berries and fruits from 10 different sources.
MCT Powder: 3.5 grams. We use fat from coconut oil so you absorb the vitamins, minerals and nutrients in plants.
Liver Support and Digestive Enzymes: Without this, you would waste a lot of the benefit and micronutrients of the product.
Keto Micro Greens is what a multivitamin should be.
Ketogenic Pre-Workout Supplements
Pre-workout powders are for people who are on a ketogenic or otherwise low-carb diet and want a healthy, ketogenic pre-workout energy drink without all the crap in other pre-workout drink mixes. They can be used any time of day for a quick, clean and healthy energy boost for physical and cognitive performance without the caffeine crash.
Perfect Keto Perform Pre-Workout Ingredients
- 7.7g BHB ketones: Boost ketones through its work with acetyl groups to create ATP, the energy currency of cells
- 5g MCTs: Healthy fats and a source of ketones for an energy and cognitive boost
- 2g Creatine: Increases your body’s ability to produce energy fast through cellular hydration,
- 2g BCAA (2:1:1): Branched chain amino acids, composed of leucine, isoleucine and valine. Together, they promote muscle protein synthesis and cellular glucose uptake for muscle growth and better endurance
- 1.5g Beta-Alanine: Promotes muscle endurance and more power output during training.
- 500mg L-citrulline: For reduced muscle soreness, and better endurance for your workouts.
- 50mg Caffeine: From green tree, for alertness without the blood pressure and heart rate elevation caused by caffeine.